Ronald Lewis Thiele MD, MPH ’66

1

ron thiele Ronald Lewis Thiele MD, MPH ’66, died February 9, 2013 in Santa Rosa, Calif., at age 87.

He was preceded in passing by his father and mother, Louis  and Dorris Thiele of St. Helena, Calif., his wife, Audrey of Detroit, his brother and sister-in-law, Lex and Beverly of Santa Rosa. He is survived by his loving friend and devoted companion, Valerie Reid of Santa Rosa; his three children Ron Jr., Eric and Judi; five grandchildren; and one great grandson. He is also survived by his niece and two nephews, Laura, Doug, and Steve, who shared with him their love and support during his retirement years in Santa Rosa.

Ron attended medical school at Wayne State University in Michigan where, during medical school and active duty, he served honorably in the United States Navy Medical Corps. After being stationed with his family on Mare Island and Guam during the Korean war, he built a thriving pediatric practice in Concord, Calif. After 10 years of practice, Ron went on to earn a master’s degree in public health from the UC Berkeley School of Public Health and later became superintendent of Clover Bottom Hospital and School in Donelson, Tenn. From Clover Bottom, Ron became dean of the School of Allied Health at East Carolina University in Greenville, N.C. During his 20-year tenure, Ron was especially noted for building and instilling excellence in physical therapy, audiology, epidemiology, occupational therapy, and medical records programs.

In 1996, Ron returned to Santa Rosa to celebrate the company of his family and friends and his next adventure in life. He was an avid golfer, wicked cribbage player, world traveler and devoted to life long learning. He was, throughout his life, an advocate for children with disabilities and challenges. Ron was active locally and beyond,  generously supporting his favorite charities and causes. He took great pleasure in entertaining and being entertained by his friends and acquaintances. He will be dearly missed and fondly remembered by his family, friends, and community.

1 Comment

1. Dr Thiele was my first boss, so many years ago when he first came to Nashville and the Clover Bottom Home. You appreciate how highly he was regarded since I so vividly recall him after so many years. Truly, he helped bring Clover Bottom out of the dark ages. One of the endearing things I remember was his story of laying a stone path at the home in California and how the alignment of the path deteriorated with his martinis. One of the procedures for new patients, urine specimens were required. As a young, naive speech therapist, I was totally unprepared for this. I said, this child has to pee pee. Ever the gentleman, he came to my rescue, and came out smiling , ‘. a little pee pee on the hand and all is well’. Have no idea what made me google his name tonight because I’ve thought of Dr Thiele many times. Please accept my sincere condolences. Alma Owens